With all the cookies and chocolate kicking around this month, I thought I'd post a recipe for a slightly healthier dessert option.
I call them Fat Balls because they're full of healthy fat, although bliss balls might be more marketable...
Eunice's Delicious and Healthy Gluten-free Dairy-free Fat/Bliss Balls
• 2 cups Dates
• 3 cups Pecans (Whole or crushed. If whole, you'll need a food processor to crush them)
•1 cup Almonds (same as above)
•1.5 cups Almond butter
•1/2 cup Maple Syrup
•1/4 cup Coconut oil
•2 Tsp. Cinnamon
•2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
•Cocoa powder (for rolling the balls in)
1. Crush the pecans and almonds with a food processor. Throw your dates in there too if it's a powerful food processor. If not, cut the dates into small pieces with a knife.
2. On the stove, on low to medium heat, melt the almond butter with the coconut oil and maple syrup. Add dates and continue to let melt.
3. Once melted, add the pecans, almonds, cinnamon and vanilla.
4. Turn off heat and mix together with a wooden spoon. The texture should be firm enough to roll into balls in your hands. If it's too runny, add some more nuts. If it's too dry, add some more almond butter, coconut oil, or even a little water.
5. Let sit in fridge to cool (about 1 hour)
6. Once cool, roll into balls with your hands.
7. Roll the balls in the cocoa powder to coat them.
8. Refrigerate 2 hours