Although I am an all-year-round soup kind of person, I have accepted that I'm in the minority. Sadly. (That being said, those who don't appreciate soup in the colder months boggle my mind).
Either way, it's soup season, bitches!
Here's a recipe for a GIANT pot of Mexican chicken soup that is delicious:
• 1 onion chopped into small pieces
• 5 to 6 celery stocks chopped into small chunks
• 1 red pepper chopped into chunks
• 6-8 garlic bulbs cut into tiny pieces
• 2 carrots cut into small chunks
• 1 cup mushrooms
• 1 small sweet potato cut into small chunks
• 6-10 Chicken thighs (depending on how much chicken you want). If you're veggie, substitute the chicken with tempeh.
• 1 can Mexican chillis
• 3 to 4 chopped tomatoes or 1 large can of tomatoes
• 1 cup taco sauce or tomatillo sauce or even salsa could work
• 4-6 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
• Salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder to taste
• Fresh cilantro to taste
• Juice of 2 limes
•Butter or ghee (or other fat) for sautee-ing the vegetables
•Avocados for the top!
How to make:
1. Saute the onion in butter or ghee until soft. Then add the other vegetables and saute until soft. Add a bit of the chicken or vegetable stock as it's cooking to avoid the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
2. Toss and rub the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 375 F.
3. Add the tomatoes and the chicken or vegetable stock to the soup and bring to a boil. Then let simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
4. Chop up the cooked chicken and throw into the soup. Cook for another 30 minutes or more. The longer the better.
5. Add fresh cilantro and lime juice.
6. Pour into bowls and top with chunks of avocado.
BOOM! Enjoy the soup.